Monday, November 18, 2013

CMR Sheath

I received the custom Mini Skinner blade from +Chuck Richards-Handmade Knives and knew I had to make a sheath for it right away.


The knife is 5 3/4" oal with a 2 1/4" bellied cutting edge. It weighs 3.2 oz. and fits my hand nicely. The steel is Bohler D2 and the handle material is black G10 with solid brass pins. The steel has been cryo treated with a final HRC of 59-61.



I did a bit of tool work, and my stamping isn't the greatest, but I think it came out decent enough. I especially like the button closure, it really suits the knife. I wanted a closed sheath since it's such a small blade, even though the sheath is friction fit and wet molded. I didn't expect to have taken a full 7 hours to make this sheath, but it was worth it.



I decided to make the design handy, streamlined and simple. The belt attachment loop is sewn on (top and bottom), and used the integral portion of the leather for the flap closure, keeping the smooth, finished leather exposed to show off the tooling. The dye is mostly brown, but I also highlighted the edges with black to give it some depth.







I went with a 9 oz. veg tanned leather, which is a bit on the heavy side, but I utilized most of the thinner portion of the shoulder, so it could possibly be around 8 oz. --As always I use Fiebing's leather dye, acrylic resoline, tan kote, and mink oil.






Full video on my YouTube Channel. Thanks to Chuck for a wonderful blade!

No comments:

Post a Comment