Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Cold Steel Sheath Project: Making A Custom Leather Sheath for an Axe.


This was a fun project. It all began with a blade, an axe in this case, and a need for a sheath. I had originally modified the Cold Steel Trail Boss by making the axe paint-free, giving it a natural look.



I also wanted to wrap the haft up near the axe so I can make a comfortable grip when I use it for close-up work. This wrap also protects the haft in case I miss my mark on a full swing.




I started the sheath with some vegetable tanned leather, and traced my pattern onto it. Next, I checked the fit to ensure the design would secure the axe. After final sizing and trimming, I added a coat of Tan Kote to the underside of the leather, and dried it, then wet the leather and beveled the edges. I cut the weld and afixed it with some contact cement. I dyed the leather and dried it again, then set off to drill and punch holes for rivets and stitching.


I wanted the sheath to look clean but also match the leather lacing I used on the haft. I punched holes for lacing in the sheath, you can see it on the bottom edge. After a good application of Fiebing's Mink Oil, the leather looks superb. This sheath really came out nice. Check out the video I will post below for more details.




I walk you through most of the process in the video, showing you the stages taken to make this sheath for the Cold Steel Trail Boss axe.

No comments:

Post a Comment